Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zoom Zoom, Bitches.

***DISCLAIMER:  Before I go into the details of my new fancy car, I feel like this post needs a disclaimer about what it took to get to this point.  For one, I've been driving the same 1997 Toyota Corolla since my senior year of high school (I'm almost 28 years old).  I've avoided having a car payment for over 10 years and instead of throwing that money around, I saved it.  I've been working my FACE off since (even before) graduating college and climbed the ranks steadily in my industry since beginning.  It took a lot of painful hours of hard work and tons of discipline to be able to get where I am today financially, but the day has come for me to finally see the payoff.  I'm not spoiled in the least.  No one gave me a red cent towards this car.  This is purely a reward as a result of patience and hard work.  


Sorry.  You see, I have this brat complex because I like nice things and people give me shit for having them (i.e. my Marc Jacobs bag.  People assume some sugar daddy or my parents or someone bought it for me because I'm some spoiled bitch, when in fact it was a present to myself for quitting smoking (used the money I saved from not buying cigarettes).  I've always been very good with my money, so when I splurge and get judged, it really bothers me.***

Anyhoo, onto the important part of the post!!



My sexy new Mazda3 s Grand Touring.  I mean, talk about the difference between night and day...  My Corolla was as basic as basic could be.  Power windows and locks were its fanciest feature.  I've never had a keyless entry remote.  I've never been able to unlock my car unless I was touching it.  So, let's put it this way--  While pulling out of the dealership yesterday, my sunroof was open, heated leather seats were on, Bose surround sound system was cranking my Pandora station from my iphone wirelessly... up until I decided to call my mom...  THROUGH THE CAR.  Hands-free, indeed.  The bluetooth technology is insane.  My car talks to me.  It's beautiful.  Just beautiful.


And as far as driving it goes--  it's so smooth and quiet and handles beautifully and if I need to speed up to pass someone for any reason, I actually CAN.  It has 167-hp which comes in handy and some sexy "feets" - 17" aluminum alloy wheels.

My little Corolla did it's job.  It was a great car for me and I am so grateful to my parents for planting that foundation for me when I was young.  Not only the car itself, but teaching me how to (and how important it was to) manage my funds and to set perfect examples of extraordinary work ethic and how to earn my keep.  I'm lucky to have had such wonderful parents.

As my mom pointed out, that Corolla took me through high school, college and my first "real jobs".  I'm excited to see the new adventures that lie ahead for me and my new baby...  who has already been deemed, "Black Betty" (hence the tune).

Sitting in Hartford 4/27/11
RAM-A-LAM!

xo,
Rachael

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE IT! Man, that must feel so good. One day, I too will have a car...once I learn to stop ignoring stop signs and red lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's insane. I still don't feel like it's mine... Haha. Give me a month or so. It feels like I'm borrowing it. :-D

    It's pretty intense!!! :)

    ReplyDelete