Thursday, September 15, 2011

Healing Up/Dreaming Down

Today was the first day that I've felt close to normal since the surgery (*edit:  I started this post yesterday, 9/15 and that evening I ended up with sharp pains on my right side.  I woke up to find these pains had gotten worse.  At least yesterday I had a few hours of normalcy).  Progress is definitely coming right along.  They ended up doing a bit more than originally planned, so it makes sense that the pain was worse and that the healing time is taking a bit longer than the last two times I've had the procedure.  On top of the regular laparoscopy to laser off any endometriosis they find, they also did a hysteroscopy (where they go look inside the uterus) and ended up finding and removing a polyp. They also found that the top of my uterus was fused together and they cut that open. While they were in there, they saw that my appendix didn't look happy, so they took that out, too (not sure yet it that was endo related). They also inserted an IUD to try and help combat endometriosis symptoms in the future.  Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit beat up inside.

Aside from all that, I'm feeling all reflecty.  Yep.  New word I made up just now.  I blame it on being stuck alone in the house laying in bed for days on end... and maybe a tad bit because of my new Mad Men obsession, but regardless of why, I've been doing too much thinking.  About life, career, friends, family, the future.  All of it.  It's definitely a different picture than I had painted in my head years ago.  It's not that it's a bad thing or that I'm not happy with any of it, it's just different.  The sad parts are just what or who isn't here in the family portrait that I always assumed would be.  Assumption is bad.  The other stuff is just the control freak in me not being able to plan every step along the way.

Career stuff is being pondered because this week has been NY Fashion Week and whenever fashion week rolls around, I'm enamoured.  To the point of questioning if I did the right thing by going to art school instead of fashion school.  I know I did because I do love what I do, but I fucking ADORE fashion.  It makes me drool.  I've already done a post about fashion week from the Fall/Winter 2011, so I won't repeat myself, but it's really had me wrapped up and fantasizing about living a very different (glamourous) life.  It's also inspired me to jazz up my wardrobe...  and that's when I look at my bloated, heating pad burnt, scarred and bruised and taped up stomach in the mirror and go, "meh. Nevermind."

Mad Men doesn't help calm my craving for fashion and overhauling my entire wardrobe, either.  The styling for that show is absolute perfection.  Even if an episode is slow, I'm still just as excited and on the edge of my seat about what Betty Draper is wearing to whatever work dinner she has to attend while hanging off of Don's arm.  Honestly, after soaking up every ounce of Fashion Week since I've been home without much else to do, I think it's not just me who's been inspired by Mad Men fashion...  Some of those designers must spend their free time catching up with Sterling Cooper, as well.  I think all of the below looks are Betty Draper approved.  ;-)


Marc Jacobs | Spring 2012

Marc Jacobs | Spring 2012

Badgley Mischka | Spring 2012

Marc Jacobs | Spring 2012
Oscar de la Renta | Spring 2012

Hopefully tomorrow I can try to be up and about a bit more...  I'm so tired of laying in this bed...  I'm half tempted to go get a pedicure...  hmmmm...

xo,
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment