Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week in Review

This week was interesting, for sure.  The week started really tough.  It's no secret that I've been a bit fragile, lately.  Dan and I went out Tuesday for dinner and I decided to bring up some thoughts I'd been having for quite a while.  To my surprise, Dan had a lot of answers for me.  The conversation started out slow, and he told me he was grasping for the right words because he wanted it to sound romantic, but I told him that I wasn't looking for romance-- I was looking for the truth.  From that point forward, the conversation went swimmingly and we really got a lot accomplished.  I finally had answers to questions I've been pondering for months, now.  The answers weren't exactly what I wanted to hear, but the clarity I gained was nothing less than positive.  Come to find out, Dan and I have been on the same page for the past few months, but it took that long for him to figure out some things and it took that long for me to get the balls to start the conversation.  Things have been so much better since then.  Even though we kind of feel like the fairy tale path we were on was kind of  rained on, we can at least bond further over the acknowledgement of the situation.  Moving right along...

We wrapped up the week by heading down to NYC to meet up with our wonderful friends Doug and Natalia to go to the Movielife's sold out reunion show.  I was sad that we didn't get to stay overnight and get some of today together, but we didn't want to get stuck in the city because of this hurricane shutting down the trains.  Anyway, the openers were kept a secret until they started playing.  We were in line for drinks when I heard a live band coming from the main room.  I told Doug someone was playing and he immediately said, "That's Brand New."  We grabbed out drinks and ran towards the stage and sure enough.  There they were playing (arguably) my favorite of their songs, "Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't."  It was stellar.  They only played about 6 or 7 songs, but they were all great and everyone was so pleasantly surprised.  Our second surprise came when Crime In Stereo took the stage and crushed it.  They are so great live.  Dan and I saw them in DC at the Black Cat long ago.  It was fab.  The Movielife played and are far better live than they are recorded, I believe.  Nat and I stayed towards the back and danced while the boys hit the pit.  It was a good time.

We left the show in search of food, but ended up spending a bit of time chatting in the park, then hit up Hard Rock for late night eats.  It was so nice to see them.  I wish we lived closer.

We made the last train out of NY at 1:50am which put us home at 4:30am.  The train ride didn't disappoint, of course.  Plenty of entertainment listening to a mess of 17 to 20-something year old british males argue, fight and discuss their love of Twilight, Two and a Half Men and banging easy American girls.  The best part about it was that they were all wearing seersucker suits, bow ties, and dress shorts, all in pastels.  I can't help but think of the movie Funny Games when I see prep-school guys dressed in such a way.  That movie is so fucked, so I was slightly uneasy sitting there avoiding eye-contact for the hour and a half trip.  Dan was passed out in my lap before we left Grand Central.

In about an hour, we're supposed to really start feeling the effects of Irene here in CT.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  I'm sure it won't live up to the hype, but I enjoy a good storm.

Always,
Rachael

P.S.
Congrats to Doug and Nat on their engagement!  Still waiting on the details, but I'm assuming it happened sometime today.  <3


No comments:

Post a Comment